Variable products let you offer a set of variations on a product, with control over prices, stock, image and more for each variation. They can be used for a product like shoes, which you can offer in different sizes and colors.
Adding attributes for variations
To add a variable product, either edit an existing product or create a new one.
- Go to: Products > Products.
- Select the Add Product button or edit an existing product.
- Once in a product, select Variable product from the Product Data dropdown.
- In the Attributes section, add attributes before creating variations — use global attributes or define custom ones specific to each product.
• To use a global attribute, select it from the dropdown and then Add. Make sure to select the Select all button to add all of attributes to the variable product, and select the Used for variations checkbox to tell Online Store it’s for your variations:
- If adding new attributes, select Custom product attribute then Add.
5. Name the attribute.e.g. Size.
6. Set values separated by a vertical pipe, e.g., small | medium | large.
7. Select the Used for variations check box to use in the Variations section.
8. Save attributes.
To add a variation, go to the Variation section in the Product Data meta box.
Manually Adding a Variation
Select Add variation from the drop down menu, and click Go
Select attributes for your variation. To change additional data, click the triangle icon to expand the variation.
Edit any of the available data. The only required field is Regular Price
We recommend setting defaults you prefer on the variations. In the example, we have no defaults set, so users can pick any color and size right away from the product page.
If you want a certain variation already selected when a user visits the product page, you can set those. This also enables the Add to Cart button to appear automatically on variable product pages.
Defaults can be set only after at least one variation has been created.
Add an image for the variation
- Expand the variation.
- Click the blue image placeholder (screenshot).
- Select the image you wish to use.
Duplicating a variable product
You can make a copy of a product and its variations to create similar ones.
You can bulk-edit variations by selecting the specific piece of data you want from the dropdown. In this example, I want to edit prices for all variations.
Linking possible variations
If your example had two attributes – color (with values red and yellow) and size (with values large and small), it creates the following variations:
- Large Red
- Large Yellow
- Small Red
- Small Yellow
When viewing a variable product on the front end, the user is presented with drop down boxes to select variation options. Selecting options will reveal the stock, price and Add to Cart button for the variation, so the user can purchase. A variation must first be chosen before adding to cart on the product page.