This article explains how to add and manage products in your online store admin panel.
To visit your admin panel, please follow the following steps:
- Kindly Login to the Apptuse Dashboard.
- Please click on Manage Inventory option from the sidebar menu.
Adding a Product
Get to know how product categories, tags and attributes work before adding your first product.
Categories and tags can be applied before or during the creation of a product.
Attributes, can be added per product, or you can set up global attributes for the entire store to use (e.g., in layered navigation).
When adding a product, the first thing to decide is what type of product it is. Products can be of the following types :
- A Simple product type covers the vast majority of any products you may sell. Simple products are shipped and have no options. For example, a book.
- A Grouped product is a collection of related products that can be purchased individually and only consist of simple products. For example, a set of six plates.
- An External or Affiliate product is one that you list and describe on your website but is sold elsewhere.
- A Variable product is a product that has variations, each of which may have a different SKU, price, stock option, etc. For example, a t-shirt available in different colors and/or sizes.
Adding a simple product
Adding a simple product is an easy process and similar to authoring a standard Word Press post. When you go in the Products menu, first step is clicking on Add Product. You will be presented with a familiar interface and will immediately see where to type the product title and description.
Under the main dialog box is the Product Type panel. Define the product type (as outlined above) and whether it is a downloadable (digital) or virtual (service) product.
Majority of the important data is placed here.
- SKU – Stock keep unit (SKU) tracks products. It should be unique and named so it does not clash with post IDs.
- Regular Price – This is the main price of the item.
- Sale Price –This is the discounted price of the item.
You to manage stock for the product individually and define whether to allow back orders in the Inventory Tab. If stock management is disabled from the settings page, only the ‘stock status’ option is visible.
- Weight – Weight of the item.
- Dimensions – Length, width and height of the item.
- Shipping Class – Shipping classes are used by certain shipping methods to group similar products.
Linked Products tab
You can cross promote your products by using up-sells and cross-sells. They can be added by searching for a particular product and selecting the product from the drop down list.
After adding them, they are listed in the input field.
Up-sells are displayed on the product details page. These are products that you may wish to encourage users to upgrade, based on the product they are currently viewing. For example, if the user is viewing the coffee product listing page, you may want to display tea kettles on that same page as an up-sell.
Cross-sells are products that are displayed with the cart and related to the user’s cart contents. As an example, if the user adds a mobile phone to their cart, you may want to suggest they purchase mobile covers, charger, etc when they arrive at the cart page.
Grouping – To make a product part of a grouped product, set this option.
You can assign details to a product on the Attributes tab. You will see a select box containing global attribute sets you created.
Once you have chosen an attribute from the select box, click add and apply the terms attached to that attribute to the product. You can hide the attribute on the frontend by leaving the Visible checkbox unticked.
Custom attributes can also be applied by choosing ‘Custom product attribute’ from the select box. These are added at the product level and won’t be available in layered navigation.
- Purchase note – You can enter an optional note to send the customer after purchase
- Menu order – Custom ordering position for this item
- Enable Reviews – This option is to Enable/Disable customers reviews for this item
Add a short product description. This typically appears next to product imagery on the listing page, and the long description appears in the Product Description tab.
On the right-hand side of the Add New Product panel, there are product categories in which you can place your product, similar to a standard Word Press post. You can also assign product tags in the same way.
You can add a main image and a gallery of images.
Setting catalog visibility and feature status
In the Publish panel, you can set catalog visibility for your product.
- Catalog and search – Visible everywhere
- Catalog – Visible in catalog loops, but not search
- Search – Visible in search results, but not in the catalog (categories/shop page)
- Hidden – Only visible on the single product page – not in any product loops
Adding a grouped product
A grouped product is created in quite the same way as a simple product. The only difference is that you select Grouped from the Product Type dropdown in the General product tab details:
When you set the parent product as Grouped, the price and several other fields disappear. You will add this information to individual child products. Once finished with the parent product, publish it and come back to the Add New Product page.
Create a Child Product inside a group
To create a child product, go to: Products > Add New to add a new product. The only information you must enter is:
- Product Type = Simple
You can also add a price and other product details, as needed. Now go to Linked Products to select the parent product from the Grouping dropdown:
Edit the Menu Order option under the Advanced section in product data if you wish to control the order in which products are shown in a group.
Adding a virtual product
You can check the Virtual box in the product type panel when adding a simple product. This removes unnecessary fields, such as dimensions.
Adding a downloadable product
You can check the downloadable box in the product type panel when adding a simple product. This adds two new fields:
- File path — Path or URL to your downloadable file.
- Download limit – Limit on number of times the customer can download file. Left blank for unlimited downloads.
Adding an external product
Choose ‘External/Affiliate’ from the product type dropdown. This removes unnecessary tabs, such as tax and inventory, and inserts a new product URL field. This is the destination where users can purchase the product. Rather than Add to Cart buttons, they see a Read More button directing them to this URL.
Adding a variable product
Variable products are the most complex of product types. They let you define variations of a single product where each variation may have a different SKU, price or stock level.
Duplicating a product
It’s possible to use a product and duplicate it to create similar products with variations and other qualities. This helps you save time.
To duplicate a product, go to Online Store > Products and look through the list for a product you wish to replicate, then click Duplicate.
Mark a Product as Featured
To mark a product as featured, go to: Online Store > Products and select the Star in the featured column. Alternatively, select Quick Edit and then the Featured option.
A Online Store Product ID is sometimes needed when using shortcodes, widgets and links.
Go to that product’s Edit screen via Products > (Choose the Product) > Edit and then look at the page URL to find the ID. You will then see a short multi-digit number. This is the product ID.
Another way to find a Product ID is to hover over the product in the Products admin menu:
You also have the option of using a snippet of code that adds a new column to the Products edit screen and displays the Product ID for each.
Backorders Out of Stock
Mostly all payment gateway options will charge immediately if you are managing stock on an order and allow backorders in your product inventory settings. You can use the Advanced Notifications extension to help notify someone other than the shop admin of backorders.